Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Post #8

Since I keep switching on what subject and age level I would like to teach, I decided to go with middle school science. I thought a good idea was as curators of a new zoo, students would work in teams to research climate, world locations, plants, and animals of six different biomes in the webquest. Each team member will research one particular aspect of the team's biome, then the entire team will compile its information with the other teams to create a zoo layout complete with information summarizing each biome's characteristics.

A good example of a WebQuest I found was an exercise on Black History Month. The students were to use the given resources to read and obtain information about black history and the African-American heritage. They were given a list of questions each having an answer in one of the given webpages. There was then another task called the Big question in which the students were to bring all their thoughts and knowledge together in a broader understanding of the topic. This part would guide them through writing a thesis about the most important aspects of Black History. This thesis statement would be the beginning of an essay, the final portion of the Webquest. I liked this idea because it was using the web as an outline for the essay, getting the students to interact with the ideas they have to better understand what they were writing. 

I am becoming a lot more advanced with working in Excel. I really enjoyed making the crossword puzzle and I had no idea you could do that in Excel. If I teach english I am going to use that for vocab practice before quizzes. I also know how to use excel as a gradebook and how to easily calculate the averages, min, and max of the grades and with one formula determine letter grades(=if). I know all of this information is going to help me teach and grade more easily. 


No comments:

Post a Comment