I think computers and new technologies are important parts of the educational experience because they are becoming widely used a standard teaching technique. Not only are the computers essential tools to assist students learn material but they give the student access to a computer in which they might not outside of the classroom. Today almost all professions require some form of computer knowledge and allowing computer use in school gives every student the practice and basic skills to operate a computer. As teachers, it is our job to teach students how to better acquire, process, and present information and with computers we can more easily get them to actively participate. Computers can be a great tool for students to be able to present their new acquired information in a way that will most likely reach them. Technology is also a great tool for the teachers, if they have the knowledge to run it properly. With this information teachers can expose the students to information in a creative and carefully planned out way. The computer allows students to process a great deal of information in complex ways that were not available to them before the technology era. I agree with the issues raised in chapter 1. As I mentioned, not all students will have the opportunity to use computers outside of school so the skill levels will be all across the board. The book mentions that, "sixty-eight percent of your students will have used a computer before they get to you." Although a large portion of the class, there still are students who haven't had the same advantages. It is important to take the time to teach students basic information. Another issue is that teachers have almost had to step down as leaders and have become more of a guide. How are students expected to learn and receive a technological-based education if half of class time is being spent on the teacher trying to send in attendance electronically. Technology is essential to everyone in the classroom as long as it is being used in the right way.
As a future teacher, I plan to use technology everyday in my classroom, whether it be e-mailing a parent or organizing my lesson plans on a spreadsheet. I am planning on using computers as much as my schools budget will allow. Knowing that technology is an ever changing field, I am determined that my students will gain as much tech-info as possible while in my hands. The "fruit files" example in the book is just what I'm planning on teaching my students (as soon as I feel comfortable in doing it myself of course). I hope that whatever grade I end up teaching that I will be able to use tools such as powerpoint and internet videos to enhance the learning experiment. I know when learning about science especially, watching a video on the smartboards was ever so helpful. Being able to stop and circle things right on top of the video now seems like a must. I hope as a teacher I am able to fully understand many aspects of technology so I can help my students as much as technology helped me. I am hoping this class will teach me more than the basic skills i have now. Such programs as excel are a mystery to me, that I know needs to be solved. In this technology based world, I know that if I plan on succeeding as a teacher, I am going to need all the help I can get.
I am so excited that I have finally found a major that I am passionate about. I have switched around exploring and trying everything out. My younger sister was a 1st grader last year and after spending time in her class, I knew I had found the right career for me. I was set on english ed for awhile but spending time with the younger students who are so bright-eyed and spirited really made me realize my love for education. I do hope to later get into the admin track and maybe one day be a principal or maybe even head in the counseling way. All I know is that I am so glad that I found something I know I could do for the rest of my life and be just as excited as my students!
Blog Journal #10 prompts
16 years ago
I know exactly how you feel Lindsey. I too was stuck in Exploratory for a while, but have finally found something worth doing.
ReplyDeleteAs for the differences in skill level I feel it would be just like teaching Kindergarden in that some of the children will know colors and the alphabet and some may even know how to read, but others have never even seen a book. This worries me a bit but I think after this class we'll have some good ideas on how to help the kids skills level out.